Close +

ID Requirements

When traveling between Canada and the United States by water, you must present one of the following valid documents as part of the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requirements.

For U.S. and Canadian Citizens

- Valid Passport

- U.S. Passport Card

- Trusted Traveler Card (NEXUS)

- Enhanced Driver's License from one of the following provinces/states: British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont or Washington State
*Please note: "REAL ID's" (issued by some states to comply with FAA and domestic federal requirements) are not a valid travel document for an international border crossing. 

- Enhanced Identification Card (for example: enhanced Tribal cards, if available) 

- U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) with original country's valid passport

- U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders (any U.S. citizen member of the U.S. Armed Forces who is wearing the uniform of, or bears documents identifying him or her as a member of such Armed Forces and who is under official orders or permit of such Armed Forces (seeking entry in order to carry out official duties), may present a military identification card accompanied by the official orders when entering Canada.)

- U.S. Merchant Mariner Document with official maritime business 

- U.S. Birth Certificate (an image on a phone will not be accepted) with one of the following supporting documents:
a) CANPASS card (Air, Corporate Air, Private Air, Boats, Remote Area Border Crossing – held by a U.S. citizen)
b) U.S. Merchant Mariner’s Card
c) Driver’s Licence
d) Social Security Card
e) Vehicle Registration
f) Voter’s Registration Card
g) Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card

Please Note: All U.S. & Canadian citizens aged 15 and under only need proof of their citizenship with a birth certificate or citizenship card (no supporting documents are needed).

Groups of U.S. and Canadian citizen children ages 18 and under, when traveling with a school or religious group, social organization, or sports team, will be able to enter under adult supervision with birth certificates or other proof of citizenship.

Click here for more information on consent letters for children traveling outside of Canada

For Non U.S. or Non Canadian Citizens

- Valid Passport

Entry into Canada:
A visa may be required to enter Canada for citizens of some countries. Please scroll down further for a full list of countries that require a visa to visit Canada, or view the list here.

Find out if you need an eTA or visitor visa here.

NEW! As of February 29, 2024, Mexican citizens who hold a valid US non-immigrant visa or have held a Canadian visa in the past 10 years and are travelling by air on a Mexican passport will be able to apply for an electronic travel authorization (eTA). With the high number of Mexican citizens currently holding US visas, the majority will continue to enjoy visa-free travel to Canada. Those who do not meet these conditions will need to apply for a Canadian visitor visa.

All eTAs issued to Mexican passports before 8:30pm PST on February 29, 2024, will no longer be valid — except for eTAs linked to Mexican passports with a valid Canadian work or study permit. Mexican citizens travelling to Canada without a valid work or study permit will need to apply for a visitor visa or reapply for a new eTA — if they are eligible.

Please click here for more information.

Entry into the U.S.:
Beginning Oct. 1, 2022, in accordance with an Interim Final Rule (IFR), all Visa Waiver Program travelers entering the United States, whether by land, sea, or air will now be required to obtain an approved ESTA authorization.

This application process must be done before arriving at our Victoria terminal, and is typically approved within 72 hours of application.  

All non-immigrant travelers are encouraged to apply for a provisional I-94 via the CBPOne App. Travelers who apply for their provisional I-94 ahead of time will experience faster processing times to expedite entry. Click here for more information.

Official ESTA Application

For more information on border crossing requirements: 

U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Canada Border Services Agency

Countries That Require a Visa to Enter CanAda

Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Antiqua/Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan

Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Botswana, Brazil (note: some Brazilian citizens may be eligible for an eTA), Burkina-Faso, Burma (myanmar), Burundi

Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, China, Peoples Republic, Colombia, Comoros, Congo (democratic Republic & Republic), Costa Rica, Cuba

Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic

East Timor, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia


Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana

Haiti, Honduras

India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel (if have a passport don't need visa if have orange travel document need visa), Ivory Coast

Jamaica, Jordon

Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, North, Kosovo, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan

Lao, Peoples Democratic, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya

Macau S.A.R., Macedonia (North), Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives Island, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique

Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigera


Pakistan, Palau, Republic of Palestinian Authority, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines


Romanina (if have temp passport), Russia, Rwanda

Sao Tome E Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, St. Kits and Nevis, Sri Lanka, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & Grenadines, Sudan, Surinam, Swaziland, Syria

Taiwan (if issued by ministry of foreign affairs and have a personal ID number don’t need visitor visa), Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu

Uganda, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan

Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam


Zambia, Zimbabwe

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Sign Up!